Wednesday 5 March 2014

Happenings large and small

Last weekend we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary with 25 friends, four fabulous cakes, Sauvignon Blanc and a partridge in a pear tree (OK, the last one is a fib!). We had lots of laughs together, and the comment of the day came from the husband of one of my workmates at my former job. About an hour before everyone arrived on a very hot afternoon, we had managed to rig up a big gazebo, which had been damaged in a storm last year, so was minus one of its legs. Its "stump" we attached to a nearby tree, and because there was no wind, it was working quite well. The said husband of my colleague has worked all his professional life with prosthetic limbs. He took one look at our gazebo and asked one question "Amputee?"

There have been lots of "mini-happenings" around the place as well. I lit my first ever fire yesterday in our huge wood burner. I only set off the smoke alarm once, and by the time my husband arrived home from work, I smelled like a bonfire, with "eau de pine cone". It gave the house the fragrance of a Russian Dacha, minus the banya in the back yard.

Actually, that's not such a bad idea!

Elderly cat was gurgling and making loud strange noises this morning. We thought "kitty cardiac arrest", it was more "mouse in the mouth and I can't speak". He put the critter down several times and promptly lost it. It is now hiding somewhere behind our library of Middle Eastern books, pretending to be a desert rat!

Tomorrow we are leaving the house in the care of Dutch friends for four days whilst we travel north for meetings and catch ups with friends. We are not sure what the cats will make of it, but I suspect the house will flourish under their ministrations.

1 comment: