Saturday 14 October 2017

Single spelling, double meaning

I recently acquired this postcard. I thought it was romantic and the boat colour reminded me of the nursery rhyme:

"The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat"


But then I realised it could also mean "Let's fight all of our lives". Funny how the romantic gloss was suddenly lost!

And speaking of romance, I have been corresponding recently with family in Canada and reflecting on events that took my Great Aunt there to find her fortune. Encouraged by her older half brother, she ended up emigrating, going to work for Sam McLaughlin (of General Motor's fame) and eventually marrying another immigrant who was originally from the East End of London.

Here is my great aunt in her uniform working at the Parkwood Estate in Oshawa Ontario. She is on the far left.


and here is her brother dressed as a cowboy. In fact I am told he loved to hunt, so holding a gun wasn't just for show.


and here in his WW1 uniform and later as best man at his sister's wedding


1 comment: